This article on “How to Write a Blog Article in 7 Easy Steps”, is part of the series on how to look after your website.
In today’s online world, blogging is an essential, tool, especially for a business. It allows them to establish their brand, attract and engage with customers, and drive traffic to their website. Regularly publishing high-quality blog content can also help businesses improve their search engine rankings and generate leads. This is just one of the very many things we do with our own SEO services, so we know it helps.
This article will provide you with a step-by-step guide to help you write high-quality, engaging blog content. From choosing a topic and conducting research to crafting a compelling headline and promoting your article, we’ll cover everything you need to know to get started. So let’s dive in and learn how to write a blog article in 7 easy steps.
STEP 1: Choose a topic
When faced with a blank sheet of paper, or more likely, a blank screen, this is often the most difficult step. If you’re reading this, it’s probably because you’re already an established business. That means you already have a good sense of your target audience and what topics they are interested in.
When choosing a topic for your article, consider the following:
- Choose a topic that aligns with your business goals and objectives. This will help you generate leads and drive traffic to your website.
- Consider what your audience is interested in and what problems they face. This will help you identify topics that will be relevant and valuable to them.
- Stay up-to-date on your industry’s trends and news to identify potential topics that will be of interest to your audience.
- Use keyword research tools to identify popular search terms related to your business. This can help you identify topics that will be more likely to rank well in search engines.
STEP 2: Do your research
This is an important step when writing a blog article. Getting something wrong, when you’re supposed to be an expert, won’t sit well with your audience. Even when you know something to be true, it’s worth checking. You want to write an article that is well-informed and accurate.
Here are some tips for effectively researching your topic:
- Gather information from credible sources: It’s important to base your article on reliable information. Look for sources such as academic journals, government websites, and reputable news organisations.
- Avoid using unreliable sources like personal blogs or propaganda websites.
- As you gather information, it’s helpful to take notes and organise your findings. This can help you keep track of your thoughts and ideas, and make it easier to reference your sources later on. An old-fashioned physical notepad will do the trick. Even more helpful, would be to write your findings down as a mind map to visually organise your ideas.
This is now the foundation for a well-written and informative blog article. Let’s keep going.
STEP 3: Create an outline
An outline will help make your writing process more efficient and the finished work will follow a logical progression. The structure an outline creates, gives you a clear roadmap to follow as you start writing. It will also stop you from waffling or going off-topic.
Here are some tips for creating an outline for your blog article:
- Decide how you want to present your information. Will it be a narrative, a list, or a how-to guide? This will help you determine the overall structure of your outline.
- Once you have the structure in place, start listing out the main points that you want to cover in your article. These will be the main sections or subheadings of your article. Then, under each main point, list out the supporting details or examples that you will include to back up what you’re saying.
Creating an outline, ensures that your article is logical and well-organised, covering all the points you want to make. It can also help you identify any gaps in your knowledge or areas that need further research.
STEP 4: Write a compelling headline
A strong headline is the hook for capturing the reader’s attention and encouraging them to click on and read your article.
Here are some useful tips for writing a good headline for your blog article:
- Keep it short and sweet. About 6 to 12 words long would be ideal. This makes it easy for readers to quickly understand the main point of your article.
- Use strong, instead of weak, action verbs to convey a sense of urgency and convey the value of your article. For example: replace “Run” with “Sprint”, replace “Make” with “Create” etc.
- Use keywords that are relevant to your article and that your target audience might be searching for. Keyword research is something we use all the time in our SEO services. Using the right keywords will help your article show up in search engine results and make it more relevant to your readers.
- Rather than using a general or vague headline, make it specific to your topic and the main points of your article. This will help readers, and search engines, know exactly what they can expect from your article and whether it will be of interest to them.
- Numbered lists (like this list) tend to perform well because they give readers a clear sense of what to expect. Consider using a number in your headline to make it more compelling. E.g. “How to write a blog article in 7 easy steps”.
By following these tips, you can craft a compelling headline that will grab readers’ attention and encourage them to read your article.
STEP 5: Write the article
This is where you will begin putting your thoughts and research into a readable, cohesive article. Start by introducing your topic and explaining why it is important or interesting. Then, present your main points or arguments in a logical order, using evidence from your research to support them.
Remember to use transitions to connect your ideas and make the article easy to follow. In English grammar, transitions are words or phrases that connect one idea to another and help the reader follow the flow of the writing. They can be used to signal a contrast, a cause and effect, or a sequence of events. Some common transitions include “however,” “therefore,” “as a result,” and “also.”
As you write, keep your audience in mind and try to make the content engaging and informative. Don’t worry about making it perfect at this stage, just focus on getting your ideas down on paper. You can always go back and make revisions later.
STEP 6: Edit and proofread
After you have completed a draft of your article, it is important to take some time to edit and proofread it before publishing. Start by reading through the article carefully and making any necessary revisions to improve the clarity and coherence of your writing. Pay attention to grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors and make sure that your ideas are presented in a logical order. It might be a good idea to use an online grammar checker, like Grammarly, to help do this.
Once you are satisfied with the content of your article, you can add some visual elements to make it more appealing and engaging. Adding images, videos, or infographics can help illustrate your points and break up the text. Just be sure to use images that are relevant to your topic and properly cited.
You should also take some time to format your article, using headings, subheadings, and bullet points to organise the content and make it easier to read. Finally, don’t forget to include links to any sources you referenced in your article, as well as a brief author bio at the end.
STEP 7: Publish and promote
So, you’ve checked, refined and double-checked your blog article, now it’s time to publish. If you’re using a CMS like WordPress, that’s as easy as clicking the Publish button.
Publishing it, without doing anything else, isn’t going to bring hordes of visitors to your site to read it, you’re going to have to promote it and get the word out. Here are a few tips to help you do that:
- Share the article on your social media accounts, such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- If you have a mailing, you can use a tool like Mailchimp and email them with a link to the article to let them know it’s been published.
- If you mentioned any influencers or industry experts in your article, consider reaching out to them and letting them know about it. They may be willing to share the article with their followers, which can help increase its visibility.
- Include the article in your email signature. You can add a link to the article in your email signature and include it in any emails you send out. This can help drive traffic to the article.
- If you have the budget, you can use paid advertising platforms such as Google Ads or social media advertising to promote the article and reach a larger audience.
- Participate in online communities related to your industry and share your article with the members. Alternatively, you can seek out questions asked via online forums, like Reddit and Quora, which your blog article answers. Put some effort in answering these honestly, and include a link to your article at the end, saying that more relevant information can be found there.
To sum up, this post on how to write a blog article in 7 easy steps is, in fact, a simplified method of how the professionals do it.
If you follow the steps, you can create a worthwhile contribution to your website, and it will be much better than not doing it at all. It’s true that doing this will require time and effort. You might, therefore, decide that it would be better to employ a specialist to do this. Here, at Brighton WEBtech, we are the specialists you need.
Whatever you decide to do, know that adding content to your website on a regular basis, can only help. Websites need love too. Start creating today.
If any of this has been of interest and you’d like to learn what we can do for your business, have a browse through some of our services below. We’d be happy to discuss the benefits of working together.
I will design you a beautiful, responsive website that you and your customers can be proud of.
For specialised sites, I can develop custom functionality to do whatever you want.
Once your shiny new website is finished, I’ll keep it safe, secure and online.
A logo, is part of your brand. It doesn’t have to be fancy. In fact, a good word logo, is better than a poor graphic logo.
Having a great looking website, is… well, great. But you’ll also need great content as well, to keep your visitors interested.
There’s little point having a great site, with great content, if nobody finds you. Let my SEO service help you.